Re: BUG #14109: pg_rewind fails to update target control file in one scenario

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: BUG #14109: pg_rewind fails to update target control file in one scenario
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 9:47 AM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 10:37 PM, John Lumby <johnlumby@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I did not get any answer to my suggestion in that post but I think it might be useful.
>
> Replication slots are perfectly able to retain WAL segments from a
> prior timeline, so I am not sure that this would be much a gain.

Or to put in in other words, a slot that activates automatically
itself at promotion to retain WAL from the previous timeline would be
interesting for pg_rewind, but the use case we have here is only
pg_rewind. so it seems a bit narrow to bother modifying the core core
to add this support in the replication slot code. And this can be
solved lightly with an archive. Thoughts from others are welcome.
--
Michael