Using many pg_dump in pgAdmin (aka Re : Re : pg_dump: ALTER SEQUENCE ... OWNED in 8.1)

От Laurent ROCHE
Тема Using many pg_dump in pgAdmin (aka Re : Re : pg_dump: ALTER SEQUENCE ... OWNED in 8.1)
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Hi,

Just to clarify what I mean.
I am quite happy (or should I say: not too unhappy) to juggle with different version of pg_dump in my scripts.
If that's the way it has to be, that's the way it has to be.
See point A, below.

But to me pgAdmin is a tool that must be easy to use.
Hence, as it seems the rule of pg_dump usage is "if I connect to 8.1 server, I must use pg_dump 8.1; if I connect to a
8.2server, I must use a 8.2 server; ...". There should be an option for doing that automatically: I should not need to
switchfrom a pg_dump to another when I switch servers.

So what I have in mind is:- default installation: use pgAdmin pg_dump- activate multi-pg_dump mode: give a directory
wherethere's a tree with a directory for each server version used. And each directory contains the matching (to the
directoryname) pg_dump version.

This way, the standard install is the same.
But if I need to connect to different servers with different versions, I don't need to keep switching from one pg_dump
toanother all the time: pgAdmin will do it for me.
I understand that's quite a lot of work to be done, but on a user perspective, that's the painless of doing it ...
well,at least on my humble opinion, but I assume other users might have other views on the subject.

Have fun,
L@u
The Computing Froggy