Re: clarify "rewritten" in pg_checksums docs

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: clarify "rewritten" in pg_checksums docs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 1 Sep 2020, at 15:34, Michael Banck <michael.banck@credativ.de> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 01.09.2020, 15:29 +0200 schrieb Daniel Gustafsson:

>> Isn't "modified in-place" a more accurate description of the process?
>
> AIUI we do rewrite the whole file (block by block, after updating the
> page header with the checksum), so yeah, I though about using modified
> instead but then decided rewritten is pretty (or even more) accurate.

Well, I was thinking less technically accurate and more descriptive for end
users, hiding the implementation details.  "Rewrite" sounds to me more like
changing data rather than amending pages with a checksum keeping data intact.
Either way, adding "in-place" is an improvement IMO.

cheers ./daniel