Re: Trying to learn the PL/pgsql procedural language

От Gavin Flower
Тема Re: Trying to learn the PL/pgsql procedural language
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On 28/10/14 07:49, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 7:10 PM, John R. Sowden
> <jsowden@americansentry.net> wrote:
>> I have been a foxpro/dos programmer for my small business for about 35
>> years.  I use linux for all but database stuff.  For db I use foxpro/dosemu.
>> It looks like pg is my best bet for linux/sql. After reading an o'reilly
>> book on pg (_practical postgresql_), not one word was mentioned in the
>> procedural language chapter about displaying text.  I write complete
>> applications (in foxpro), not just queries and forms.
>>
>> What am I missing here?  I am not interested in trying to learn C, C++,
>> Java, or Perl in order to read sql databases.
> I feel your pain.  Being a foxpro expat myself, I understand the
> simplicity of having a single environment to handle writing basic
> business applications quickly and am equally bewildered as to why
> rapid development platforms seemed to have fallen away.
>
> Well, here's the bad news: for various reasons (some good, some bad)
> the market has moved away from this model pretty much for good.  I
> used to hang on the hope that delphi would carry the torch for a while
> but that ship has also sailed, sadly.
>
> The good news is that you've come to the right place.  postgres it the
> only choice that will meet your requirements.  Coming from foxpro it's
> the only thing that is both powerful enough and not very expensive.
> For the most part, the data processing you've done will drop in
> cleanly and pl/pgsql will work well for that.  But what about UI
> design?
>
> For my part the recommendation is going to be to jump in and learn
> javascript.  I'm not going to sugar coat it: it's going to suck but
> with the proliferation of so many javascript frameworks and libraries
> once you've got it under your belt you should be in a better place for
> writing applications.
>
> For middleware/web server development, it's a lot more complicated
> situation.  I happen to like node.js and think it's a good place to go
> for application development writing but it's very much a personal
> preference thing.  I do not recommend the 'enterprise stacks' -- java,
> c++, .net.  Stay with the stuff that's geared towards web development
> (if not node.js, php, ruby, python, perl are all reasonable choices).
>
> merlin

If you do go for Java middleware, then I recommend WildFly
(http://wildfly.org) as the AppServer, it is free and very powerful.
But this route is not for the faint of heart!

AngularJS (https://angularjs.org) is a very good JavaScript framework.
Warning, JavaScript frameworks provoke strong passions and fierce
partisanship!

You may also want to consider upgrading your users to Linux in the
longer term.

Cheers,
Gavin

От: Merlin Moncure
Сообщение: Re: Trying to learn the PL/pgsql procedural language
От: Andrej
Сообщение: Re: Trying to learn the PL/pgsql procedural language