Re: Restore of a reference database kills the auto analyze processing.

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Restore of a reference database kills the auto analyze processing.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 5/2/24 08:52, HORDER Philip wrote:
> Running Postgres 15.3 with PostGIS 3.3
>
> On Windows 10 (yes, I know)
>
> It’s a single node db with no replication, topping out at about 200GB.
>
> We have a schema (A) in the default 'postgres' maintenance database,
> which our software services connect to, with one set of users (SU)

This above is probably not a good idea, The 'postgres' database is
generally taken to be a throw away database for establishing an initial
connection. Many utilities/tools use it for that purpose, having your
data in it exposes that data.

> This works, some of the time.
>
> If I repeat the update process, somewhere around run #4 the auto
> analyzer stops working, and only analyzes tables in the new db at the
> point of reload, then shuts off again.
>
> All vacuum and analyze operations on the 'postgres' database just stops,
> even though there is still data processing into it.

Is there enough data processing?

Autovacuum has thresholds for turning on, are you sure those thresholds
are just not being met?

> With log_autovacuum_min_duration = 0, we are logging all vacuum &
> analyze operations, so we can see when the entries shut off in the
> Postgres log files, e.g.
>
> 2024-05-02 14:52:01.597 GMT [6896]: [23-1] db=,user=,app=,client= LOG:
> automatic analyze of table "lfm.pg_catalog.pg_trigger"

Except the above shows it working.

What is the evidence it is not?

> The only way I can find of getting the analyzer back is to restart Postgres.

Did you wait to see if activity after the pg_restore crossed the
autovacuum thresholds?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com