Re: Higher TOAST compression.

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Higher TOAST compression.
Дата
Re: Higher TOAST compression.  (Laurent Laborde <kerdezixe@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
"Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 12:50 -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> (3)  Allow override of the thresholds for individual columns.
> I would skip 1 and 2 and have (3).
Sure, pick the one which requires new syntax!  ;-)
How about two new ALTER TABLE actions:  ALTER [ COLUMN ] column SET COMPRESSION_THRESHOLD integer  ALTER [ COLUMN ]
columnSET EXTERNAL_THRESHOLD integer

Or can you suggest something better?
Laurent, would something like this address your needs?  I was assuming
that if the point is to reduce I/O, you were interested in doing more
compression, not in storing more values out-of-line (in the separate
TOAST table)?  Would it be manageable to tune this on a column-by-
column basis?
-Kevin

От: Heikki Linnakangas
Сообщение: Re: more than one index in a single heap pass?
От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: Higher TOAST compression.