The way Access/ODBC does updates to records

От Davide Romanini
Тема The way Access/ODBC does updates to records
Дата
Список pgsql-odbc
Hi,

When I link postgreSQL tables to access, and try to modify a record, I
found that odbc sends a query to postgresql containing a lot of fields
in the WHERE clause. For example:

I have a table names with fields id, name, surname, address.
When I modify an existing record changing the name from Davide to
Daniele, I expect that odbc sends a query like this:
UPDATE names SET name='Daniele' WHERE id=1;
or, in the case it looks for contamporary changes:
UPDATE names SET name='Daniele' WHERE id=1 AND name='Davide';

Instead I see it uses:
UPDATE names SET name='Daniele' WHERE id=1 AND name='Davide' AND
surname='Romanini' AND address='My address';

It wouldn't be a problem, but with some datatypes (dates, doubles for
example) and sometimes with triggers that change data before updates,
it has problems like the "Another user is changing the same data".

I want to know if there's a way to force access (or odbc) to use only
primary key fields in the WHERE clause for un UPDATE (there aren't
reasons to use other fields).

Thanks, Romaz
--
Davide Romanini