Re: [HACKERS] 6.5.0 - Overflow bug in AVG( )

От Thomas Lockhart
Тема Re: [HACKERS] 6.5.0 - Overflow bug in AVG( )
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Float8 accumulator seems to be a good solution if AVG is limited to
> int/float types. I wonder if it could produce system dependency in AVG due
> to rounding errors. Some broader solution should be considered though if you
> want AVG to work on numeric/decimal as well.

The implementation can be specified for each datatype individually, so
that's not a problem. afaik the way numeric/decimal work it would be
fine to use those types as their own accumulators. It's mostly the
int2/int4/int8 types which are the problem, since they silently
overflow (on most machines?).
                    - Thomas

South Pasadena, California