Re: [HACKERS] PID of backend

От Maarten Boekhold
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PID of backend
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Meanwhile, I still say that getting rid of a backend via kill() is a
> dangerous and unnecessary "recovery" mechanism.  What's wrong with
> just closing and reopening the connection instead?

I don't know about later versions of pgsql, but I've a 6.3.2 system running
on a production system, and every once in a while one of the
backends will go crazy and eat CPU. This system is on a web server, and processes
requests tru a CGI script. For the administrator (i.e. me), it is impossible
to close the CGI<-->backend connection (the backend will keep running after I kill
off the CGI script). Only thing that will get things back in order is to kill that
backend (which sometimes also requires me to restart the postmaster, probably
because of some shared mem corruption).

Maarten

ps. This system is not a priority for me, I', quote happy with how it's running,
so please don't tell me to upgrade or give me any other suggestions.

--

Maarten Boekhold, boekhold@tibco.com
TIBCO Finance Technology Inc.