Re: psql \copy from sends a lot of packets

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: psql \copy from sends a lot of packets
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> writes:
> I just noticed that if you load a file using psql:
> it sends every line as a separate FE/BE protocol CopyData packet.
> I'll add this to the next commitfest. There's similar inefficiency in
> the server side in COPY TO, but I'll leave that for another patch.

The FE/BE protocol documentation is pretty explicit about this:

    Copy-in mode (data transfer to the server) is initiated when the
    backend executes a COPY FROM STDIN SQL statement. The backend sends a
    CopyInResponse message to the frontend. The frontend should then send
    zero or more CopyData messages, forming a stream of input data. (The
    message boundaries are not required to have anything to do with row
    boundaries, although that is often a reasonable choice.)
    Copy-out mode (data transfer from the server) is initiated when the
    backend executes a COPY TO STDOUT SQL statement. The backend sends a
    CopyOutResponse message to the frontend, followed by zero or more
    CopyData messages (always one per row), followed by CopyDone.

So while changing psql isn't so much a problem, changing the server
is a wire protocol break.  Maybe we should do it anyway, but I'm
not sure.