Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От Don Baccus
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At 10:56 AM 6/4/99 +0800, Vadim Mikheev wrote:

>Note: I told about "multi-representation" feature, not just about
>LO/CLOBS/BLOBS support. "Multi-representation" means that server
>stores tuple fields sometime inside the main relation file,
>sometime outside of it, but this is hidden from user and so
>people "just put their data into tuples".

OK, in my first response I didn't pick up on your generalization,
but I did respond with a generalization that implementation
details should be hidden from the user.

Which is what you're saying.

As a compiler writer, this is more or less what I devoted my
life to 20 years ago...of course, reasonable efficiency is
a pre-condition if you're going to hide details from the
user...

I'll back off a bit, though, and say that a lot of DB users
really don't need an enterprise engine like Oracle (i.e.
something that requires a suite of $100K/yr DBAs :)

There's a niche for a solid reliable, rich feature set,
reasonably well-performing db out there, and this niche
is ever-growing with the web.

With $500 web servers sitting on $29.95/mo DSL lines,
as does mine (http://donb.photo.net/tweeterdom), who
wants to pay $6K to Oracle?

- Don Baccus, Portland OR <dhogaza@pacifier.com> Nature photos, on-line guides, and other goodies at
http://donb.photo.net