Re: pgsql: Unify some tar functionality across different parts

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pgsql: Unify some tar functionality across different parts
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
>> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 4:14 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>>> This seems to have broken plperl builds on Windows.

> I'm not really sure what the best thing is to do here. We can either
> use the fact that we know that uid_t and gid_t are "int" on all our
> platforms, more or less, and change the tar api to use uid_t. Or put
> the tar functions in their own header and make sure we don't include
> that one anywhere that we include the perl headers.

Why are these very tar-specific functions being declared in such a
globally visible spot as port.h?  That seems like a bad idea on its
face.  IMO stuff in port.h ought to be about as globally applicable
as, say, malloc().

If there's actually a reason for that sort of namespace abuse, then
change their parameters to int --- IIRC, the tar format can't support
UIDs wider than 32 bits anyway.