Re: pgsql: Add kqueue(2) support to the WaitEventSet API.

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: pgsql: Add kqueue(2) support to the WaitEventSet API.
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
On 2020-Mar-17, Thomas Munro wrote:

> Reproduced here.  The problem seems to be that macOS's getppid()
> returns the debugger's PID, while the debugger is attached.  This
> doesn't happen on FreeBSD (even though the debugger does internally
> become the parent, getppid() is careful to return the "real" parent
> PID so that user space doesn't notice this trickery; apparently Apple
> made a different choice).

Wow ...  Yeah, that was a known problem with FreeBSD, see
https://postgr.es/m/1292851036-sup-5399@alvh.no-ip.org
Evidently FreeBSD must have fixed it, but macOS has not caught up with
that ...

> The getppid() check is there to close a vanishingly rare race
> condition: when creating a WaitEventSet, we ask the kernel to tell us
> when the postmaster exits, but there is a possibility that the
> postmaster has already exited; normally that causes an error with
> errno == ESRCH (no such PID, it's already gone), but another unrelated
> process might have started that has the same PID, so we check if our
> ppid has changed after a successful return code.  That's not going to
> work under a debugger on this OS.

Irk.

Сообщение: Re: pgsql: Add kqueue(2) support to the WaitEventSet API.
Сообщение: Re: pgsql: Add kqueue(2) support to the WaitEventSet API.