Re: pgsql: Add pg_recvlogical, a tool to receive data logical decoding data

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: pgsql: Add pg_recvlogical, a tool to receive data logical decoding data
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
On 2014-03-18 18:51:29 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> I have a few questions about this:
>
> 1. Why is this in src/bin/pg_basebackup? As far as I can see, this has
> nothing to do with taking base backups. I guess one could say the same thing
> about pg_receivexlog, but that one is at least somewhat related to a
> physical base backup, and shares code with pg_basebackup.

The only reason is that it shares code, mostly reusing
streamutil.c. I've previously asked onlist and the general feedback was
that it's better to have it there, than to duplicate code.

> 2. What is this good for? I would read the docs, but:
> 3. There are no docs.

I think Robert's just working on the general docs patch.

I think in the form it's now in, it's actually usable for some real
world tasks, not just a demo. It's not an infrequent requirement to get
all DML to the database in a readable format for auditing purposes, and
this does provide it.

Greetings,

Andres Freund