Re: pg_upgrade

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pg_upgrade
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:36:25AM -0800, Ian Harding wrote:
> Maybe this is it.  8.4 pg_ctl docs say it uses "psql -l" to see if it's
> finished when you use -w.  It also says
>
> PGPORT
>
>     Default port for psql (used by the -w option).
>
>     And since pg_upgrade uses a funky port, it might miss unless the PGPORT
>     environment variable is set to match.
>
>     I'll try that tonight.

Yes, you are getting close to the answer.  ;-)  The problem is that
Postgres doesn'isn't checking the right port number or socket location
or something else.  This was all improved in Postgres 9.1:

        The wait mode is now significantly more robust.  It will not get
        confused by non-default postmaster port numbers, non-default
        Unix-domain socket locations, permission problems, or stale
        postmaster lock files.

I am guessing there is something non-standard about your old cluster,
and 8.4's pg_ctl -w can't handle it.  Tell me what is non-standard and I
can help further.  Another idea is to make the old cluster use defaults
for everything and do the upgrade.