Re: Database schema & data synchronizer software for PostgreSQL?

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Database schema & data synchronizer software for PostgreSQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 09:51:25PM -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 January 2009 10:44:06 David Fetter wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 03:03:33PM +0100, Csaba Együd wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I'd like to ask your suggestions about a reliable admin software
> > > which is able to compare two dabases and generate a schema
> > > synchrinizer script.
> >
> > There is no such thing, and there is no prospect of there ever
> > being such a thing, because the database does not contain enough
> > information to create this automatically.  The problem exists at
> > the organizational level, and needs to be solved there.
> >

> While I would agree that these tools can't solve organizational
> problems, they do exist:
>
> http://pgdiff.sourceforge.net/
> http://apgdiff.sourceforge.net/
> http://www.dbsolo.com/
> http://sqlmanager.net/en/products/postgresql/dbcomparer
>
> there are others too...

There exist tools which can transform an empty database schema into
another.  They fail at the real life use case of changing a schema
that already has data in it because they can't tell a changed column
from one that's been dropped and another added, so I stand by my
original contention :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!