Re: GUID/UUID Support

От David Lee Lambert
Тема Re: GUID/UUID Support
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tuesday 16 January 2007 05:47 pm, Patrick Earl wrote:
> Greetings all.  I've been poking around the web and trying to track
> the status of the GUID/UUID patches.  In the todo list, that item is
> not marked as going into 8.3, and I feel this is unfortunate.
>
> [...]
>
> One thing that is quite important, to me at least, is to make the GUID
> generation functionality cross-platform.  Using a random UUID
> technique for an initial implementation would simplify this issue.

The problem with a random UUID generator is:  where do you get the random
numbers?  However,  there are really only two platforms to worry about:
POSIX (use libuuid) and Win32 (there is probably a Win32 function to generate
it,  since MS SQL Server and the .NET API both provide GUID generation;  but
I can't seem to find it by searching the Web).

Anyway,  the uniqueidentifier project on GBorg seems like it has what you
want:  a user-defined type,  and a generator.  I think the main thing it
needs is some code cleanup/robustness and a lot of production testing.

--
David Lee Lambert (recent WSU grad) <as4109@wayne.edu>
Cell phone:  +1 586-873-8813

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Process won't start in Windows
Сообщение: Re: Process won't start in Windows