Re: Apparent anomaly with views and unions

От Stephan Szabo
Тема Re: Apparent anomaly with views and unions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Guy Rouillier wrote:

> I using 8.0.1.  I create 3 tables with these definitions:
>
> create table t1 (serv_id varchar(50) not null);
> create table t2 (serv_id varchar(50) not null);
> create table t3 (serv_id varchar(50) not null);
>
> Now I create a view like this:
>
> create or replace view v1 as select * from t1;
>
> Next, I attempt to update this view like this:
> create or replace view v1 as select * from t1 union select * from t2;
>
> I receive: ERROR:  cannot change data type of view column "serv_id"

I'm pretty sure PostgreSQL treats the type of serv_id in the new view as
varchar with no limit rather than varchar(50). I think that's also not
entirely up to spec.

In the two to three case it already was a varchar with no limit and so the
type was the same.