Re: Information about storge engine in PostgreSQL

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Information about storge engine in PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 04:27:24PM +0200, nd02tsk@student.hig.se wrote:
> Hello
>
> MySQL has information about several storage engines.

I think you will find fairly broad agreement around here that the
idea of different storage engines for different jobs is a bad one.
But to answer your question. . .

> its table data over several files/partitions. Splitting of storage is
> something which according to the following article, PostgreSQL does not
> support:
>
> http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/20743

In 8.0 (now in beta) that is false.  The feature you're looking for
is called tablespaces.

What PostgreSQL does _not_ have at the moment is the distributed
("multi-master") storage that MySQL is offering.  When PostgreSQL
delivers that (it's on my department's TODO list this year, FWIW: Jan
Wieck is working on it), we'll do so without the sorts of (IMHO
dangerous) failure modes that are present in the MySQL offering.

> similar information about the storage engine used by PostgreSQL which I
> think is called Postgres.

There isn't really a separable "storage engine" in PostgreSQL.
Depending on whom you ask, "Postgres" is either a short form of
PostgreSQL, an ancestor of PostgreSQL, or both.

> Do you know of any places where this information can be obtained?

Here :)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to.  That actually seems sort of quaint now.
        --J.D. Baldwin

Сообщение: Re: Information about storge engine in PostgreSQL
Сообщение: Re: Information about storge engine in PostgreSQL