Re: location of the configuration files

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: location of the configuration files
Дата
Re: location of the configuration files  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
I have a new idea.  You know how we have search_path where you can
specify multiple schema names.  What if we allow the config_dirs/-C to
specify multiple directories to search for config files.  That way, we
can use only one variable, and we can allow people to place different
config files in different directories.

Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 12:16:44AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Nor will I buy an argument that only a few developers have need for test
> > installations.  Ordinary users will want to do that anytime they are
> > doing preliminary tests on a new PG version before migrating their
> > production database to it.  To the extent that you make manual selection
> > of a nonstandard data_dir location more difficult and error-prone, you
> > are hurting them too.
>
> Not only that.  For safety's sake, you may need to run multiple
> postmasters on one machine (so that database user X can't DoS
> database user Y, for instance).  And making that sort of
> production-grade work more difficult and error-prone would also be
> bad.

> --
> ----
> Andrew Sullivan                         204-4141 Yonge Street
> Liberty RMS                           Toronto, Ontario Canada
> <andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M2P 2A8
>                                          +1 416 646 3304 x110

Pennsylvania19073