Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От Kaare Rasmussen
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I think we need that, and it should be the default, but few people agree
> with me.  I have some schemes to do this.

I believe you're absolutely right. To most people, performance matters
more than security in a system break down. After all we're talking
Linux, FreeBSD and other systems here. And if people worry, they can
buy UPS'es, duplicate hardware and stuff. It's extremely rare that the
hardware needs to fail.

To counter this, I think Postgresql needs some roll forward mechanism.
Maybe that's what Vadim means with savepoints? Now we're at the
Enterprise end, i could add that companies need hot backup. And if you
include the parallelizing server I believe the commercial community
will be served very well.

I was at a seminar last week where Oracle bragged about 8i. Maybe
Postgresql some time in the future could have hooks for other
languages? I know there's a PL-thing and a C-thing, but I would
personally like a Perl interface.

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6