Re: [HACKERS] has anybody else used r-tree indexes in 6.5?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] has anybody else used r-tree indexes in 6.5?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jeff Hoffmann <jeff@remapcorp.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Apparently, none of the regression tests exercise rtree indexes at all,
>> else we'd have known there was a problem.  Adding an rtree regression test
>> seems to be strongly indicated as well...

> i noticed this when i ran the regression tests and everything came out
> ok, but forgot to mention it.  if i recall correctly, what's actually in
> the geometry regression test is pretty weak.  i think it only really
> tests some of the common cases, not all of the functions.  it's probably
> not a high priority item, though, since, judging by how long it took for
> this bug to surface, there aren't a lot of people using the geometry
> functions/types.

That's exactly why we need a more thorough regression test.  The core
developers aren't doing much with the geometry operations, and evidently
neither are any of the frontline beta testers.  So, if the regression
tests don't cover the material either, we stand a good chance of
breaking things and not even knowing it --- which is exactly what
happened here.

It seems that you do make use of the geometry operations; perhaps
you would be willing to work up some more-thorough regression tests?
You're certainly better qualified to do it than I am...