Re: Q: pg_catalog views, OIDs and search_path

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Q: pg_catalog views, OIDs and search_path
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Ian Barwick <barwick@gmx.net> writes:
> Q: is there any likelihood of the pg_catalog views (pg_views, pg_tables,
>    pg_indexes, pg_rules, possibly others I have missed) returning the
>    relevant OID or (probably cleaner) the result of pg_table_is_visible()
>    as a boolean?

That strikes me as awfully ugly --- the apparent contents of the view
would change depending on your search_path setting.  Which seems weird.

> Otherwise the only workaround will be to ignore the catalog views and
> work with pg_class directly, which I will probably do, but it
> feels like a step backwards.

I don't see a problem with it.  The only thing those views really do for
you is keep you from having to know the character codes for relkind,
which is not a lot of implementation-dependence compared to all the
other stuff that \d knows ...