Re: Migrating MySQL app to postgres?

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Migrating MySQL app to postgres?
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 11:51, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Rich Shepard wrote:
> >   I need (and want) contact managment software for marketing/sales tracking
> > in my business. The only linux app I can find that does the job is
> > SugarCRM.
> > However, they use mysql as their backend.
> >
> >   Might it be relatively easy for me to change the code so it will work
> > with
> > postgres? What's involved?
>
> Depends on how it was written. If they used Pear it shouldn't be "too"
> difficult. It will take work no matter what.

Unfortunately, there is no use of an abstraction layer in SugarCRM, and
the few comments I found in their forum about alternate databases
indicated a current focus on feature enhancements and sales / services,
not supporting alternate databases.

I do get the feeling it's in the plans, but won't likely happen this go
around, with 3.0 beta.

I would say that the problem isn't that it doesn't support PostgreSQL,
but that it ONLY supports MySQL, which means it may be hard to port to
other databases due to extensive uses of "mysqlisms" which are common in
large mysql only databases, and the longer they wait to abstract out the
db access, the harder the conversion becomes.